Beth Humphrey, 30, and her boyfriend, Terence McKay, 32, have the characteristics of any normal couple who wants to get married, except for the fact that they don’t belong to the same race. This seems to be ground enough for the JP to deny the license.
Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace for Tangipahoa Parish’s 8th Ward in Louisiana, refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple due to his concern that such marriages don’t last long.
“I’m not a racist,” Bardwell said. “I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house. My main concern is for the children.”
Bardwell said from his experience, “99 percent of the time” the interracial couple consists of a black man and white woman.
“I find that rather confusing,” he said.
He said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. Bardwell said he came to the conclusion that most black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society.
“Yet, the children are innocent. They had nothing to do with that,” he said.
In many cases, he said, the grandparents or a relative ends up with the children.
“I don’t do interracial marriages because I don’t want to put children in a situation they didn’t bring on themselves,” Bardwell said. “In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer.”
He said if he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all.
“I try to treat everyone equally,” he said.Source: www.hammondstar.com
Mr Bardwell, I am also very confused! My points for confusion are as follows –
- Discrimination as a definition means, “ the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently“. So by definition, you are very well discriminating between same race and interracial marriages.
- Do you really think that all interracial marriages don’t last? I can give you tons of examples from normal couples to celebrities.
- Do you also deny the following –
- Marrying when the woman is older than the man?
- Marrying when the man is much older than the man?
- Marrying a very young couple?
- Marrying a couple from who support two different football teams?
- Marrying a couple where the woman is taller than the man?
- Marrying a couple who have had pre-martial sex?
- Marrying a couple who has tattoos or belly rings?
Also, I would love to hear your views about same-sex marriage!