Maybe I the only one who is not “too” surprised by the nomination and pick. Though I do agree on the award coming up way to early!
My points –
- Since he came to power, he has changed the international climate by following –
- Better diplomatic talks with Iran
- Engaging North Korea to open up
- Opening up Cuba
- Removing missile shield in eastern Europe
- Removing troops from Iraq (which has been an international embarrassment for US)
- Better relationships with United Nations (as opposed to Bush who disregarded them for Iraq)
- Climate Change Policy Change
- Total difference in opinion of US in International communities from Bush-era.
- Lot of world leaders have been given Nobel Peace Prize. World leaders are responsible for world peace and leader of a super power does makes a huge change.
- We should not let domestic policy differences change our opinion of Obama’s international policy changes.
Mr Obama – woken up with the news early on Friday – said in an address at the White House that he was “surprised and deeply humbled” by the award.
He said he did not feel he deserved to be in the company of some of the “transformative figures” who had previously received the award.
Speaking outside the White House, he said he would accept the prize as a “call to action”.
There were a record 205 nominations for this year’s peace prize. Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and Chinese dissident Hu Jia had been among the favourites.
Instead the committee chose Mr Obama, who was inaugurated less than two weeks before the 1 February nomination deadline.