At the end of the last year the exhibition of photos of the famous photographer Stepan Kurunin was held in Volgograd. It was timed to coincide with the centenary of the master. For many years he photographed the life of Volgograd, preserving those rare, vivid and emotional historical shots for the future generations. Here we will show you just some of them.
1. Comandante Fidel Castro needs no introduction.
2. Eugene Vucetic and Fidel Castro on Mamayev Kurgan.
4. Fidel welcomes the residents of Volgograd near the Tractor Factory.
5. And that’s how Fidel was met at the airport.
6. Dolores Ibarruri, the leader of Spanish communists, speaks at the podium.
7. The grave of her son died at Stalingrad – the Hero of the Soviet Union, Captain Ruben Ruiz Ibarruri.
8. The Yugoslavian leader Josip Broz Tito lays a wreath at the Eternal Flame.
9. Ernesto Che Guevara on Lenin Square.
11. The leader of communist Vietnam Ho Chi Minh (on the right).
12. Eugene Vucetich tells Nikita Khrushchev about building a memorial on Mamayev Kurgan.
14. Prime Minister and President of the Republic of Afghanistan Muhammad Daud.
15. Princess of Iran Ashraf Pahlavi in the Volga Hydroelectric Station.
16. The Hero of the Soviet Union and the second president of Egypt, Gamal Abdel Nasser in the Volga Hydroelectric Station.
17. Nasser in the river port.
18. One of the leaders of East Germany, Walter Ulbricht.
19. Walter Ulbricht boards a motor ship.
20. The King of Nepal, Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev.
21. The Queen of Nepal at the Red October Factory (Confectionary).
23. The Emperor of Ethiopia Haile Selassie.
24. The American artist Rockwell Kent and his wife.
25. The Soviet/Russian novelist Mikhail Sholokhov in the ruined city.
27. The Danish writer Martin Andersen Nexø.
28. The American singer and actor Paul Robeson who sang the hymn of the Soviet Union in his native language.
29. The Chilean poet and Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda and his wife.
30. The Brazilian writer and member of the World Peace Council Jorge Amado.
31. Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II holds a prayer service on Mamayev Kurgan.
34. The artist of the Bolshoi Theater Sergei Lemeshev performs near the Volga Hydroelectric Station.
35. The composer Vasily Solovyov-Sedoi.
36. The actor Vsevolod Sanayev.
37. The American industrialist and statesman William Averell Harriman boards a plane.
38. The actor Nikolai Kryuchkov.
39. One of the greatest performers of Russian folk songs Lidia Ruslanova.
40. The actor Nikolai Rybnikov.
41. The famous sports commentator Nikolai Ozerov.
42. The head of the Russian Imperial House, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna.
43. The cosmonaut Gherman Titov speaks in the Barricades plant.
44. General-Colonel, twice Hero of the Soviet Union, the commander of the 13th Guards Rifle Division Alexander Rodimtsev in the 8th school of Volgograd.
45. The Soviet soldier Alexey Maresyev.
46. The sniper Vasily Zaytsev.
47. The commander of the 64th Army, Mikhail Shumilov (on the left) and the commander of the 62nd Army, Vasily Chuikov (on the right).